Youth on the Air Camp 2022
Dates and Location to be announced soon!
Registration for 2022 begins February 11
Interested in attending a YOTA Camp?
Youth on the Air Camp is for already licensed amateur radio operators between the ages of 15 to 25. Have a license, but you don't know what to do next? Come to YOTA camp, and we'll teach you all kinds of cutting edge technology that can be used with amateur radio and connect you to other young hams and mentors in North, Central, and South America. Already an expert? We're looking for young hams to take their knowledge to the next level and share their previous knowledge with other young hams.
The camp will focus on building strong relationships with peers and mentors, and developing new radio skills. The camp is being modeled closely after the popular Youngsters on the Air camps in IARU Region 1 (Europe/Africa/Middle East).
Some of the activities that are planned include workshops and hands on activities about:
- Contesting - Learn how to operate from some of the top young contesters in the country, participate in an FM contest at an amusement park, and ways to practice with local contests
- Digital VHF/UHF Modes - D-STAR: Get a D-STAR radio to use for the week, plus insight into how it works
- Mid and High Altitude Ballooning - Launch a balloon to near space and track it with APRS
- Kit building - Learn basics of electronic kit building
- Direction finding and orienteering - Learn how to track down signals
- Antenna building - Learn how to make antennas from common household items
- Satellite operations - Learn how to chase the birds with some of the best youth satellite operators
- ...and more!
Campers will operate a special event station, W8Y, featuring cutting-edge HF and VHF/UHF radios that many only dream of having a chance to use... and a wide array of antennas.
Can you donate to our cause?
If you're "age experienced", you can help us get youth more active in ham radio. Click here to donate to YOTA Camp via PayPal or GoFundMe at EARS, Inc, a 501c3 charitable organization that is sponsoring the inaugural camp located in the Americas.
Need more information?
- Fill out the YOTA Camp Interest Form. We'll send you a reminder when the application period begins.
- Sign up for our email list. We'll send you updates about camp and other YOTA events in the Americas.
- While this summer's camp will be different from last year, the camp handbook will give you a look at a typical YOTA camp. Click here for the YOTA 2021 Camp Handbook.
The 2022 Handbook will be posted here when completed.
Projected Camp Timeline:
|February 11, 2022||Application Period Begins|
|March 1, 2021||Application Period Ends|
|No Later than March 15, 2022||Camp Acceptance Emails Sent|
|April 15, 2022||Acceptance Responses Due|
|May 1, 2022||Forms and $100 Deposit Due|
|Summer, 2022||Youth on the Air Camp|
Click on the button for the press releases about YOTA Camp.
Interested in volunteering? While we need plenty of volunteers for setup, upkeep, and tear down of the camp, we do have some requirements that we must follow for liability and safety reasons. Visit our volunteer page for more information. Background checks and youth protection training are required when working with campers.