Youth on the Air Camp 2021
National Voice of America Museum of Broadcasting
West Chester, Ohio (Cincinnati Metro North)
July 11-16, 2021 (postponed from 2020)
Interested in attending?
Need more details about cost, housing, and more? Download the camp brochure below.
Youth on the Air Camp is for already licensed amateur radio operators between the ages of 15 to 25. Have a license, but you don't know what to do next? Come to YOTA camp, and we'll teach you all kinds of cutting edge technology that can be used with amateur radio and connect you to other young hams and mentors in North, Central, and South America. Already an expert? We're looking for young hams to take their knowledge to the next level and share their previous knowledge with other young hams.
The camp will focus on building strong relationships with peers and mentors, and developing new radio skills. The camp is being modeled closely after the popular Youngsters on the Air camps in IARU Region 1 (Europe/Africa/Middle East).
Some of the activities that are planned include workshops and hands on activities about:
- Contesting - Learn how to operate from some of the top young contesters in the country, participate in an FM contest at an amusement park, and ways to practice with local contests
- Digital VHF/UHF Modes - D-STAR: Get a D-STAR radio to use for the week, plus insight into how it works - APRS: Learn how to track stations and gather data using APRS
- Kit building - Learn from world renowned builders by making your own receiver
- Direction finding and orienteering - Learn how to track down signals
- Antenna building - Learn how to make antennas from common household items
- Satellite operations - Learn how to chase the birds with some of the best youth satellite operators
- ...and more!
Campers will operate a special event station, W8Y, featuring cutting-edge HF and VHF/UHF radios that many only dream of having a chance to use... and a wide array of antennas.
Can you donate to our cause?
If you're "age experienced", you can help us get youth more active in ham radio. Click here to donate to YOTA Camp via PayPal or GoFundMe at EARS, Inc, a 501c3 charitable organization that is sponsoring the inaugural camp located in the Americas.
Ready to Apply?
Campers that were originally accepted for the (postponed) 2020 camp will be registered first for the 2021 camp. That process will begin in February, 2021. Applications for remaining openings that may be available will begin shortly thereafter (late February to early March, 2021).
Click on the button for the press releases about YOTA Camp.
Watch the camp announcement on Ham Nation!
Interested in volunteering? While we need plenty of volunteers for setup, upkeep, and tear down of the camp, we do have some requirements that we must follow for liability and safety reasons. Visit our volunteer page for more information. Background checks and youth protection training are required when working with campers.