Youth on the Air Camp 2023
July 16-21, 2023
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Interested in attending a YOTA Camp?
Youth on the Air Camp is for already licensed amateur radio operators between the ages of 15 to 25. Have a license, but you don't know what to do next? Come to YOTA camp, and we'll teach you all kinds of cutting edge technology that can be used with amateur radio and connect you to other young operators and mentors in North, Central, and South America. Already an expert? We're looking for young operators to take their knowledge to the next level and share their previous knowledge with other young amateurs.
The camp will focus on building strong relationships with peers and mentors, and developing new radio skills. The camp is being modeled closely after the popular Youngsters on the Air camps in IARU Region 1 (Europe/Africa/Middle East).
Campers will operate a special event station, featuring cutting-edge HF and VHF/UHF radios that many only dream of having a chance to use... and a wide array of antennas.
- US citizens will only need a valid passport (card or full sized) and your valid US amateur radio license. You can operate with your US callsign and add /VE3 on the end without any additional licensing. At least once during the communication, you must state your geographical location, like "30 km north of Toronto."
- Campers from outside the US and Canada will need to have a passport, a radio license permit, and possibly a visitor visa.
- In order to operate the radios, you will need an operating permit. If your country is a member of the IARP or CEPT agreement and you obtain the permit, you will be able to use VE3/your callsign as your callsign while you are in Canada. Be sure to apply for the permit and bring your IARP/CEPT documentation and your license with you to camp.
- To find out if you need a visa to travel to Canada visit this site: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp and this site: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/about-visitor-visa.html
Need more information?
- Sign up for our email list. We'll send you updates about camp and other YOTA events in the Americas.
- Check out the 2023 Camp Handbook! Please note, this is not the final version. It is still being revised.
How much does it cost? What language will be used? Where will you stay? Check out the informational flyer about the camp by clicking on the button below.
Projected Camp Timeline:
|December 1, 2022||Application Period Begins|
|January 15, 2023||Priority Application Period Ends|
|February 1, 2023||Camp Acceptance Emails Sent to Priority Applicants|
|February 28, 2023||Acceptance Responses Due|
|May 31, 2023||Forms and $100 Deposit Due; Application period Ends|
|July 16-21, 2023||Youth on the Air Camp|